Thursday, December 9, 2010

the shaving cream trick

Lumpy’s fan in his car doesn’t work, so there’s an issue with the windows fogging in the rain. When I returned from Sac on Sunday, after supporting Dimples for his first marathon, it was really bad. I looked up a solution on my fancy phone and found a convincing testimonial about shaving cream. I walked down to Walgreen’s while Lumpy went to do some maintenance on the sound system at the club and purchased a travel size Foamy. I used the same gym t-shirt I’d been using to remove the condensation and put a small dog poo sized dollop in the middle. I was worried for a bit because it just felt like foam on a t-shirt. I rubbed it around on the shirt until the foam almost disappeared. When I wiped the windshield again, it was like magic. Best of all, it’s still working and that was almost a week ago! I’ve thought about it since then. It’s such a small thing, but what a huge difference! I thought, “I can see!” No wonder men who get married live so much longer than single men. Seriously, how dangerous is it to be driving around in a nighttime storm with severely limited visibility? I feared for my own life.




The past few weeks have been a blur. I was knocked down by the flu for over a week following a brief stint with a stomach virus… goddamn germs. I haven’t been sick like that since the chicken pox. The first few days of the full-blown flu (I’d been dancing around it for weeks) I found it difficult to just live. Breathing was so painful. My throat and sinuses were swollen and on fire. There were days when I couldn’t talk, couldn’t sleep, couldn’t stay awake, couldn’t eat. It was truly miserable. Next year I’m getting a flu shot – the first I’ve ever had. I don’t ever want to go through that again.



I haven’t run in four weeks and haven’t ridden my bike in three. The endorphin withdrawals were overshadowed by my illness and I’m now a regular scrub again. Pathetic. Since I still struggle with the regular sore and scratchy throat, I’ve been taking it easy. This week since I’ve returned to work has been a series of ridiculously long workdays, leaving no time for me to get my moustache and armpits waxed, grocery shopping, a movie or even a happy hour beverage. I managed to play almost an hour of dance dance revolution on Tuesday. That was fun. I want to do it again. We’re out of meetings early today, so I’m going o attempt to have more ddr time. Perhaps I should try for a movie instead? I’ll play it by ear when I get home. It would be nice to cook dinner for a change. Thanks goodness we have no company events tonight. I love it here, but I’m exhausted.

No comments: