Friday, June 10, 2011

the rapture

A blind lady gets on the train with her seeing-eye dog. Not only do the people near the door stay seated, they argue with each other about which one of them should offer their seat to the lady. I wasn’t there when it happened, but had I been there would I have done something? It pisses me off. I would have given up my seat, no matter where it was. The question is, would I have said something to the rude people? After mulling it over for the past couple of hours, I’m pretty sure I would have just given up my seat or asked some nice young man to give up his. I have never liked confrontation. In fact, I rarely participate in it. Somebody has to really offend me to spark a reaction of that sort. I practically have to be cornered. Then, it’s on.


This morning I had a crazy dream. One of my friends told me that he was concerned about me because I don’t believe in God. Mind you, it’s not that I don’t have any spiritual beliefs. I just don’t buy the whole Supreme Being deal. I think that everything is connected. I think that there are times when people feel that connection more strongly than others. We experience rushes of emotion and clarity of vision, often brief and without warning. I think that these moments are so overwhelming for most of us that we instinctively block that flow of energy, cutting ourselves off from the connection. This idea that we are all separate beings is an illusion that is cultivated by modern society. It is in the interest of capitalism to make us believe that our actions have no consequences beyond what we each personally experience and that material possessions make us appear happy, young, beautiful and successful to others. At those times that people would describe as “feeling the presence of God”, I consider it a glimpse at my insignificance as a singular being by recognizing myself as a tiny piece of a bigger world. Some people do good because God wants them to. Some people do good because it makes them feel good. Some people do good to earn good karma. Whatever the reason, it looks the same from where I’m sitting.

Anyway, back to the dream. With all of this crazy weather, natural disasters and talk about the day of reckoning closing in on us, the dream strikes an interesting chord. What if the Aztecs and Mayans are right? From what I’ve read, which is probably just a miniscule fraction of the real deal, it’s not the literal end of the world; It’s a shift – not sure what type of shift because it’s open to interpretation. What if, just humor me here, what if it’s a tectonic shift?

No comments: