Monday, July 13, 2009

Counting down to North-South Reunion

The annual camping trip is coming up this weekend, and I’m so excited that I can barely contain myself. This will be our fourth trip and the first time I’ve ever brought a date. First of all, my friends are crazy. Second, only a person who knows their limits and can hold their booze can really hang out with us. We don’t do much more than regular campers do, but it’s definitely something special because this is the only time all of us are together. See, there’s another reason why I never brought a date before.

Why now? Why am I bringing the new guy (a.k.a. Killa B) to the reunion? Well, he fits. When I met him, I wondered if he was going to be part of “the crew” – the folks I see whenever I go out because we all go to the same places when we get bored and it seems like no time has passed in between this time and the last time I saw them – or something else. Now I’m thinking that maybe those worlds may be colliding. The idea didn’t appeal to me at first, but resistance to change has never served me well. I have so far survived the incestuous network of Facebook. I was a little creeped out by how many of my old friends know my new friends. What can you do? Life doesn’t tuck neatly into your pocket. I haven't lost any sleep over it, and I don't foresee that happening.

Although I am riding the honeymoon high, I must admit that I am still unconvinced that all this is really happening. I’ve become a bit of a skeptic when it comes to love. When I look back at the few people I have loved in my life, it’s a bit like a Three Stooges episode.

No comments: