Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mind Over Matter


Since the backpacking trip, I’ve been really pushing myself physically because I know I can do more. I’d like to just be able to jump into something relatively strenuous and hold my own without training up to it. The running will help. If only I had a better relationship with running… I’m working on it.

Last week I was good, except for Wednesday, when I had only a half hour of hands-on Feldenkrais and an hour Yoga class. On Thursday, I did an hour of personal training, an hour of crazy pretzel Yoga, jogged 3 miles and stayed out all night partying and dancing. Friday, I was awake for a total of 5 hours. Saturday and Sunday were a wash. I am not properly recovering from my hard workout days. I should be getting at least an additional half hour of sleep every weeknight (totaling 8 – 8.5). These days, seven solid hours is a blessing.

It’s not that I can’t sleep. I’ve been trying to spend a few hours hanging out with Killa B every day. It’s hard. Choosing between sleeping, cooking and hanging out is a tough spot to be in. Ideally, one would have enough time for all of those things. I guess if you’re training 2-3 hours every day, you have to sacrifice something, huh? What I need is a personal chef, someone to help me stay on track with my nutrition goals and keep me from cutting corners with fast food and boxed/frozen meals. I like to cook, but the weekend is the only time I have to do it. That’s also my laundry, house-cleaning, socializing, shopping, car maintenance and fun time. In addition, I also tend to make travel plans for weekends.

I used to have a “veg-out” day every week. Even when I was going to school full time and working full time, I still had a day when I didn’t change out of my PJ’s. That doesn’t really happen anymore unless I take the day off from work. The days that I do leave free always end up being the “drive Mom around” days. Is it possible to get burnt out on just regular life? The funny thing is that I would probably be bored if I weren’t so busy.

People always wish they had more time and money. I guess I’m no different, although I once thought I was.

I’m going to take off for an easy jog outside before I shower and go visit Killa B. I’m feeling a bit fatigued today, but I have a schedule to keep and a mind to train. This is just the beginning. “I am strong. I am powerful.”

No comments: