Monday, April 19, 2010

good karma and blah blah blah

I’ve been avoiding this blog lately, not for any particular reason (other than being sick of repeating myself). I’ve been out to a few parties but none so great that I would need to go through highlights. I finally popped into Levende East, Oakland’s counterpart to the one in SF. I was impressed by how clean it is. The interior reminds me of Tamarindo, a nouveau-Mexican restaurant just around the corner from Levende. This Old Oakland area has been transforming into quite the trendy spot magnet. One could say that the whole of downtown and surrounding areas has gentrified quickly. Ugh, I hate the way that word sounds like such a good thing. What it really means is that the original culture is being replaced by cookie cutter businesses which could exist just about anywhere. I do think that a lot of these new restaurants and bars are really cute, but they don’t have much character. I’m a fan of anonymity, but if everything is the same shade of grey it sure makes life boring.


I doubt that anyone I have met so far is the next big thing in my love life. I’m even starting to doubt that the next exciting thing in my life will have anything to do with love. I’m circling martial arts again. I do this every few months. When the money isn’t holding me back (like it is right now), there will still be the fear of looking like an idiot. One of these days I am going to realize that I’m really an idiot for letting fear stop me from going for it.

The highlight of the weekend, which just speaks to how uneventful it really was, was when Twin Peaks and I, upon returning from Levende, found a young woman semi-conscious on the curb outside my apartment. We took her upstairs and she passed out on one of the futons. I took her to BART the next afternoon. We didn’t make much conversation. I didn’t push the issue since I’m not interested in making friends who don’t have enough self control to get home on their own.

I’m going with OMB on his “recovery ride” again this week – this evening. I’m secretly hoping it starts raining before I go to meet him. Last Monday was such a humbling experience. I’d better make sure I have enough water anyway. I’m not canceling unless it rains.

No comments: