Monday, April 5, 2010

the blahs and the boy Billie Holiday

It has been one anti-climax after another in my life as of late. I joined a dating service. That lasted about ten days before I deleted my profile. The guys who contacted me were just plain creepy. I’d rather take my chances out on the street. I guess you could say that I’m prowling again, but not with any zeal. From where I’m standing, the chase really seems to be the best part. What am I to do when it’s over?


I’ve talked to a handful of exes on the phone in the past couple of weeks, and I am soooo bored. Maybe companionship isn’t really what I’m looking for. I tried going out to the parties, and now I am bored with those again too. I’d probably do well with another backpacking trip, but I don’t have the vacation time to do it this year. I also really want to do something completely solo. Man, if I won the lottery I could just put on my backpack and go…

I did manage to see a great jazz show last Thursday at the Asian Art Museum’s “MATCHA” mixer: http://www.asianart.org/matcha.htm. The singer was Coco Zhao, nicknamed “the boy Billie Holiday”. The nickname sounds rather ridiculous, but I assure you this was one of the absolute best jazz shows I have ever been to. Shanghai Jazz pays homage to the golden era of jazz here in the 20’s. Coco sings some traditional jazz standards and also some Chinese folk songs to jazz melodies


His voice… I wish I could sing like that. His voice is beautiful and full of emotion. I knew when I agreed to go with Puppetmaster that I would end up staying out past my bedtime (and inherently succumbing to the cold I’d been fighting all week), but I’d do it all over again in a heartbeat. I wish I knew of another Coco show so I could go and see him again.

There’s something new at MATCHA every other month, but the next one I am excited about going to will be the Japanese Ghost Stories on October 28th.

No comments: