Tuesday, October 28, 2008

3 hours in Tai Pei

I feel much better now that I've eaten and had some water. My hands are almost steady, and I think I may be able to wait this headache out without another round of Tylenol. At this point it has become a ritual; I keep taking them but they're not working anymore. The phlegm in my chest is reconstituting after all those hours on the plane with minimal liquid. I sat by the window, so I didn't want to make the others in my row get up every hour for my pee breaks. I only coughed a handful of times, but I sounded like an old sick man when I did. I had to stop in the restroom upon landing to clear the mucus from my head. It was really gross. I knew it would be. Maybe I can chug another bottle of water and cough or blow more if it loose before my next flight.

We descended upon Taiwan as dawn broke. The horizon was glowing orange and pink over the fluffy dark gray clouds. On the other side of them, the coast appeared out of pitch black, a snake-like string of sparkling yellow diamonds lying atop a mirror. I sighed just as I am doing now remembering the sight of it. You already know what that means. That's the thing about traveling alone; sometimes it makes you feel alone. Nonetheless, I am enjoying pacing the empty corridors of this airport. I think it has some sort of restoring effect. It feels good to have so much space and quiet after that long crowded flight.



Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: