Thursday, October 30, 2008

Follow your first mind

There's a reason why these cliches are so common. I did the dummy check to the car when I parked it in the back yard, and my eyes fell upon my trusty brown rain jacket. As I stood under an awning with a couple of motor bike riders today, I wondered why I hadn't brought the damn thing with me. .
.
I'm not the type to let a little water discourage me, so when I checked out of the hotel and saw the rain outside I put the rain cover over my pack and headed out undeterred. A quarter mile into my trek, I ran out of awning and the rain was coming down in sheets. I was practically taking a shower fully clothed, and that is not an exaggeration.
.
.
Although I've changed out of my wet shoes, the money I hid in them is showing signs of deterioration. Hopefully that won't matter come time to spend it. Come to think of it, the guide stated that monsoon season would be over by November; it never said anything about how much it would rain.
.
.
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm so sick of rice that I could just scream! I haven't gotten so desperate as to dine at the Thai versions of western restaurants, such as the KFC at the train station. The fact that rice is one of the few safe food options combined with my inability to make new friends without visiting a bar and the incessant rain, I'm in quite a funk. I'm lonely and homesick. The richest of all coconut milk sticky rice can't lift my spirits. I have yet to even look for any because the smells and heat suppress my appetite. I'm hoping to find some way to hasten my acclimation.
.
.
I checked my bag at the train station and am wandering the streets of Chinatown in search of the last few items on my shopping list. I'll power down for now, guessing that my next opportunity to charge my phone may be when I return to Bangkok on the 11th. Until then, cheers from the East - H

No comments: