Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jetlag Plus

It's about 7 PM. I'm in my room at the White Orchid Hotel in Bangkok's Chinatown. Yeah, it,s super ethnic in this neighborhood. I'm about a half mile from the train station where I'll depart for Chaiya tomorrow night. That ride will be slightly more than ten hours. It's doubtful that I'll have any internet there. I'm going blind from reading this tiny screen anyway. My eyes welcome the break.

It was 88 degrees and raining when we landed today. It got warmer when the rain stopped, but I don't think it's ever dry. The walk from the train station with my backpack (which I'm estimating is 40 lbs give or take a bottled water) left me drenched in sweat. Everything smells like it's always wet, including this hotel. At 700 baht a night (21 USD), I guess I can't complain. It does have A/C though - a sad one, but it counts. After moving the fridge to plug the cable in, I have some channels in English. Obama is big news all over. If he's not president when I get back, I may need counseling.

I felt strong today on my sweaty walk. I sat and had a smoke in front of the train station. I can't remember the last time I smoked. It made me feel calm, like I knew where I was and where I was going next; neither was true at the time. Those were the only few minutes I had without someone trying to approach me to offer some type of service. Tourist scams are very common here. I'm still wondering if that cab ride from the airport to the train station was really worth 1000 baht. No matter; I found out that I can take the subway back. It is a really long drive. The subway is probably a better method anyway.

I'm exhausted. I attempted to head out in search of flip flops, a hat and water. I managed to get the water. I settled for the hotel lobby buffet because all the food here is suspect. The street vendors aren't very clean and the restaurants are dominated by seafood. As I walked around with increasingly urgent hunger I thought, 'I am so screwed'. I'm sure things will look up after I get some ten or more hours of sleep.

All things considered, it has been a good trip. I'd say I'm in spectacular condition for someone who has spent almost two days in transit. I've taken my Malaria pill and so far no diarrhea (knock on wood). The pipes have been unusually active - including a symphony of growls, gurgles and toots, but everything's pretty solid.

I wish I knew how to speak Thai. Who was it that convinced me not to get the Rosetta Stone lesson? I could really use that right now. If there are so few English speakers here, I can just imagine how it will be further out. This should be interesting.

No comments: