Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Adventures in Medical Anomalies

After a couple weeks of feeling better that I have all year, I broke out in a rash something like the rash that one might develop during or after having a really high fever. Since I'd been having issues with a recurring strep infection, which I've already been treated for twice this year, I assumed that it was a strep rash (also referred to as scarlet fever). I had strep rash earlier this year following the initial appearance of strep throat (during SuperBowl/Ski Weekend). I was diagnosed with an ear infection almost a month ago (which made sense to me because I was home sick with the flu the week prior). The doctor who diagnosed me that time also did a throat swab because it looked reddish. That throat culture came back positive for strep. Great...this again. I took Erythromycin three times a day for twelve days. My era infection cleared up and it appeared as though that would be the end of the strep as well.

Now there's this rash that I noticed last week. In the evenings, I break out in hives in the affected areas. All the redness and swelling makes me look like I've been attacked by a colony of red ants. And the itching! The itching is as intense and persistent as Chicken Pox - I remember that well because I was 19 when I had it. I believe that the worst days of the rash are behind me now. I spent almost $50 on over-the-counter creams, sprays and allergy pills. I think I've narrowed down the effective treatments to Hydorcortisone cream and Benadryl tablets. The tablets make me drowsy (and a little bit delirious), but they work. The cream application may just be a ritual that I need to calm myself. Whether it really works or not may not be as important as the need being filled by the application process. I have to feel like I am doing something to help myself heal.

The results to my Saturday blood draw were all perfect - thanks for the clean bill of health but no thanks for the lack of answers. My urine test yesterday was also clear. My newest strep test came back positive again, but the doctor doesn't want to keep giving me antibiotics. She thinks that perhaps the strep bacteria are going to stay inactive in my system indefinitely like some people who have Staph dormant in their bodies. That is NOT what I wanted to hear. It makes me nervous to still have the bacteria in my system because of all those post-infection complications I suffered through when I got strep at 16 years old (which gave me all kinds of weird afflictions and caused me to miss too many days of the summer Driver's Ed program to pass the course).
Does this mean that every time I get sick the strep will come back? This analysis is not acceptable to me. I wish my gynecologist was also my general practitioner. He listens to me.

The affected areas on my arms were very active yesterday and last night. It was maddening, but I'd already experienced the exact same thing with the rash on my legs last week. After doing an hour of cardio (which only served to aggravate the condition), I took a hot shower with some antibacterial bar soap and applied hydrocortisone afterwards. This morning, it looked and felt much better. By the time the doctors figure out what the hell is happening to me, this ordeal will be over. Odd are they will only have a guess anyway, not a definitive explanation. That's how these things usually work.

I'm starting to wonder if it's the antibiotic that I am allergic to. I broke out in a mild rash after completing the first round of Erythromycin, which was only a few days worth. The second time, they gave me a stronger and longer prescription. Now I have a really terrible rash. Could it be that simple? I just think it's weird that it's only on my arms and legs. I'll have to bring it up to the Dermatologist I am supposed to meet with this afternoon. I'm also supposed to see an allergist.

I've been sick more during the past three months than I have in the past few years prior. It's freaking me out. I have coworkers who complain about the same thing. There's some crazy virus going around that starts off feeling like a cold but lasts for two weeks, and it sort of hangs around with that last sniffle for almost a month. I was lucky enough to get that one out of the way early. Now I get to watch other people go through it and listen to them complain about how long it lasts. As a germ-aware person, this is a bit unsettling to me. All that talk about supergerms and superviruses created by antibacterial sprays and gels might be coming to fruition.

No comments: