Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Back in Stride

I visited a coworker who is undergoing chemotherapy treatments for Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia in early November. When I left the hospital I had a scratchy throat. Little did I know that it would lead to over a month and a half of battling flu and colds. My immune system has been delicate. I've come to a point where I'm getting paranoid about it.

It has been almost a week since I last woke up with a sore throat, so I went on my first run since coming down with the flu on Thanksgiving. Getting up at 5:45 was difficult after my inability to fall asleep at a reasonable time last night, but I somehow managed to do it. I wanted to take it easy and walk when I got winded. I didn't want to push myself too hard, but it was freezing! I walked for almost two minutes after running about 3/4 mile. I ran the rest of the 3+ miles because it was too cold to walk and I had sweated through my layers by the time I reached the halfway mark. I was afraid that the drying sweat combined with the cold would make me sick again. My time wasn't bad considering the situation, but my lungs hurt from the cold and effort.

I made it to my afternoon personal training session today too. That was also unpleasant, but I did it. I'm in bed early tonight because my throat is a little bit tender. If it's sore tomorrow I'll take it easy and just do a low key dance class at 24 our something. I'm going too be sore for sure. Hopefully I won't be sore enough for Advil. There will be enough of that in my life when I begin my training schedule next week. This week I'm just focused on getting back into the swing of things.

I'm aiming to do the Oakland Running Festival Half Marathon on March 27th so I need to get my mileage back up. It won't be as hard as Nike because there aren't any hills like the ones on that course. I'm also training to climb Mt Shasta in June and run my first full marathon at this year's Nike Women's. I had my measurements taken today so I can track the changes in my muscle mass during the training. It's going to be hardcore. I'm nervous and excited. It's going to be a good year.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

No comments: