Monday, September 14, 2009

Curse of the Aging

My father's best friend died today. In fact, just over an hour ago. His grandson came by to break the news. I hadn't seen that guy in so long that I barely recognized him. His grandfather loved my mom.

Smitty is the third man that Mom has outlived. I don't know how that affects a person. I mean, she was already crazy. It's like looking in a funhouse mirror in the Twilight Zone. I can see how crazy I will be in another forty years. It's not very comforting. I'm hoping the knowledge of its inevitability will somehow help me to avoid or reduce it. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to have good friends until the very end. I damn sure ain't having any crumbsnatchers just for that sole purpose.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: