Thursday, September 3, 2009

where have all the homies gone?

Okay so…

After more thought about The Color Purple question, I’ve realized that I don’t have any straight black male friends who grew up in a predominantly black community, except for the “special” ones. When I say special, I mean that they went to private school or immigrated here from other countries. I don’t have any straight American-born black male friends who grew up in predominantly black communities and public schools. Why is that? I used to have a whole bunch when I was younger. In fact, all my friends were guys before I became an angsty teen. I still keep infrequent contact with a few of the ones I grew up around, but mostly they’ve all disappeared. I wonder what has happened to them. Am I in denial? Have they all become what the statistics say?


1 comment:

Martina said...

You live in California, that's why! First of all, there isn't much of a black community in the bay area so all the black people who lived here moved away to places like the south. Second, the ones that stayed... I'm sorry to say fall victim to the black man stereotype and you know those aren't the kind of people we hang with. Yeah... I'm still bitter. lol