Thursday, September 3, 2009

Now that I'm no longer bitter...

After a fun night of “So You Think You Can Dance” show highlights and Dance Dance Revolution during commercial breaks, Twin Peaks and I were in the car on the way to take her home. I remembered a conversation I had with Killa B. “Do you think all black men watch The Color Purple or is it just gay black men?” During a car conversation I had with Killa B last week, I referred to a scene in The Color purple and discovered that he’d never seen that movie. The only black man I have ever had extensive conversations about movies with is gay, so I wasn’t sure if The Color purple is a black woman and gay man thing or if it’s just a black thing. I mean, every black American has seen Roots, right? I supposed if I had to qualify them, The Color Purple is probably not as historically significant as Roots, but the story is very compelling. I’ve cried watching that move at least half a dozen times. I’ve watched it too many times to count. It’s hard to imagine that someone I know could have possibly lived 36 years without having seen it even once.

I think this is day six of Classical music. I switched back to House for a few hours Tuesday evening, when I went out for Dinner-Breakfast with Frank (the gay black man I referred to earlier) and my niece for her last night in the States before returning to Bordeaux for college. After I dropped Frank off back at his apartment, the Classical returned. I’ve never listened to it for such a long (and practically uninterrupted) stretch before. I’m starting to recognize the work of some more contemporary composers. I’ve also determined that I am not a fan of the Harpsichord. It makes me wince like I do when I hear someone playing an out of tune piano. I may learn to tolerate it, but for now I am thumbing-down all of the harpsichord pieces on Pandora.

I have a serious problem on my hands with the boredom. I am now realizing that I have to find some sort of coping method, besides just giving in to it and finding something exciting to do. The steel-string guitar I bought five years ago is collecting dust, and to have spent almost (or perhaps more than) two thousand dollars on video game equipment that only gets used once or twice a month is ridiculous. If I plan on being responsible homeowner, three things have to happen:
1) I will let people transport themselves
2) I will stock a full bar at my house and use it instead of going out
3) I will focus my nervous energy into a constructive hobby instead of seeking distraction

Okay, so let’s get to it.

1 comment:

Martina said...

So does this mean that you are not picking me up anymore?? LOL jk

I will be in full support in your goals. (as always)

The good thing about the DDR is that its already paid for so you can look at is as an entertainment investment. :-)