Monday, February 8, 2010

Leveling Out

I just survived my first weekend without a cell phone. It will continue like this until I have managed to pay off that huge bill left from me canceling my additional broadband line and the remainder of the overages from many times that Killa B fell asleep with the laptop connected. Yes, this is one of the thorns that continue to drain any rosiness from my memory.


Secret Squirrel paid me a visit to return my DVDs. He hung out for a few hours and we watched Daybreakers. It was an okay film, for a cliché vampire movie. That idea is so overdone right now. As I suspected he would, he peppered me with questions about himself…figures. Everyone needs his/her ego stroked once in a while. I wasn’t really in the mood to compliment the mf, but I did my best to be civil.


Saturday night was “Blessed”, a monthly house music party at Somar, at the border of downtown and the Uptown neighborhood of Oakland. Blessed is quickly becoming THE house music party of the east bay.  I'd been to the location a couple of times prior without it making much of an impression on me, but I heard that Patrick Wilson would be spinning so I figured it was at least worth a look-see. I had a back-up plan to check out Levende East in the event that this party wasn't enough to hold me.  None of the signage listed him, but Mr. Wilson strolled up in the joint around midnight looking driven. I was alreayd sweating my ass off before he got there. It was a good night for dancing…save for the tall creepy guy that kept dancing a little too close. Eventually, he started to say something in my ear and I got the hell out of there so quickly that anyone watching me could have gotten whiplash. Creeeeepy!  I looked at the photos on Facebook today, and I could only see the back of my head. I’m usually dancing too hard to notice that there is a camera, and I’m most often right in the center of the mass of gyrating bodies. Yeah, good stuff. I still left the club just before 1AM, confirming that I’m getting old. If that wasn’t convincing enough, the cacophony of creaks and pops as I swung my legs over the side of the bed to go to the bathroom next morning drove the message home. My back, hips and knees were tender all day yesterday. In addition to the dancing, I ran the lake Saturday morning in the rain and we played an hour and a half of Dance Dance Revolution before going out. I may be getting older, but I’m not quite that old yet.  Although I'd planned on playing more DDR, Sunday was another movie day. Twin Peaks and I watched De-Lovely – the Cole Porter story and my favorite cult films of all time – Secretary.  LOVE that movie!


I feel much better now, but the hour of Zumba was more challenging this afternoon than I was mentally prepared for. I did some Feldenkrais exercises with one of the trainers afterwards too. I needed it. For a few minutes I considered going to a class at 24 Hour Fitness tonight (I tend to double-up when I’m without a more “desirable” outlet). However, I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself on Monday. My knees have finally stopped clicking, and if I make myself too sore so early in the week it’ll be nothing but pain and suffering until Thursday night. Working out should make you feel energized and strong after you’ve had a few hours to recover. At the most, you may need a good night's sleep.  If it makes you feel fatigued, then you need rest. There’s also the huge issue of food. Cheeseburgers and fries are not the best workout fuel. OMG food! If I could just clean up my diet a little bit. Damn chocolate!  Hmmm, I still might opt for a little yoga when I get home.  We'll see.