Monday, February 7, 2011

Keeping it Moving

I had a one on one with myself yesterday. I have to face it – my running training is far weaker than it needs to be right now if I plan on doing the Oakland Running Festival’s Half Marathon. Frankly, if I were advising someone else I’d tell them to forget about Oakland and find an event further out. There isn’t enough time to train properly. Yeah, that’s what I’d say if I were advising someone else. Since I am only talking to myself, I’m going to ignore that advice and continue as though I will be running the Oakland half. I do realize that I may not be ready by then, but at least I will be close. If I move my goal further out, I’m probably going to procrastinate…again.


I’ve been having a very difficult time with the climbing. Even just the training hikes (no ice axes, crampons or altitude) are kicking my ass something righteous. I have more than once wished I were a religious person so I could pray to make it to the top of a peak and, at times, even fool myself into thinking that this is all out of my hands. There’s also that, “God would never give you something you couldn’t handle…” business that sound really good in my head on those butt-burning hills. If it weren’t for the sweat streaming down the sides of my face and labored breathing at an extremely slow pace, I could deal with the burning in my ass or even the twitching in my quads when I take a break. I could accept all of it if only I were faster – cranking out the kind of speed that would warrant me looking as though I’m about to fall down to my hands and knees and have a heart attack.

What’s even more humiliating is that there are women 10+ years older than me and about 60lbs lighter than I am practically skipping up these hills while having conversations about their kids’ grades and shit – chatting it up like they’re strolling through the mall. Seriously, it is humbling. I don’t hate them, but, my admiration is bordering the worst and greenest kind of envy. I’ve decided to use it to help my motivation. The Breast Cancer Fund group meets twice a week in Mill Valley to do the Dipsea Steps in the morning. I think they said 7:15AM. I may not live close enough to go with them (especially considering that I’m normally at the office sometimes around 8-8:30AM), but I can get out there at least once a week to do them on my own. It’s looking like Saturdays are my best choice.

I’ve managed to do it again – not scheduling any rest days. Bad Hester! I moved my running days (M, W, F on long work weeks, M, W, Sat on short ones) because I just can’t handle the Shasta training on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons after running in the morning. I can switch it back when I’m stronger. I’ve also added the Cleveland Cascade stairs to my morning run. I did three sets this morning (1 to warm up and 2 at the end before stretching). It’s not too hard so I probably need to add 1-2 more sets of them every week to compensate for missing the Dipsea group training.

Speaking of Dipsea, I’m doing a Dipsea Trail hike this Friday (short week) with the gang from my last optional hike two weeks ago. Looking at the trail map (http://www.dipsea.org/course.html) only makes me dread it, but if trail runners can race on it I suppose the least I can do is walk it.

No comments: