Wednesday, November 16, 2011

If I stop wearing anti-perspirant, I'll be 100% hippie.

It’s unusual for me to post blogs on consecutive days, especially with the two hours of meditation I’m in the process of adding to my daily routine. However, I felt like today really needed an entry.

This morning I woke up feeling like I’d been thrown out of a moving vehicle. It would be easier for me to list the muscles and joints that aren’t sore. Of course it’s getting worse as the day wears on. Somehow I’m still in a great mood.

I only made it through about 12 minutes of meditation last night after 20 minutes of restorative yoga. I threw in the towel, assuming that I really needed sleep much more than anything else. Man, was I right! I woke up at 5:27AM, 3 minutes before my alarm. I sat up, arranged my pillow pile and sat for almost a full hour of meditation. There was a 3 minute interruption when my space heater freaked out and jarred me out of my trance like a blaring fire alarm. I jumped up, full flight, and soared across the room to turn it off. I didn’t know that I could move that fast! Usually it takes me about 10 seconds to wake my feet back up from the sitting posture, and I was also sore and a little bit sleepy still. Whoa. It took me the next 2+ minutes to wind myself back down. I have this hand motion that I like to do to remind myself to let go. It looks like I’m grabbing something from the side of my head and throwing it down on the floor. I had to do that a couple of times to shake off being startled.

Afterwards I poured myself a gigantic cup of coffee with soy creamer and, instead of getting back in bed with it like I usually do, I made the bed and prepped for yoga. A few sun salutations and twists later, I finished off my coffee and got ready for work. My 17-mile commute took me an hour this morning – UGH. I didn’t seem to mind it much though. In fact, I didn’t even realize how long it had taken until I spoke to my cube-mates later about how well my morning came together.

I broke 500 miles on one tank of gas. The low fuel light came on at 502 miles exactly. I probably could have gotten even more out of it if traffic wasn’t so horrendous. Not bad for a 2006 Jetta TDI. I know I’m not supposed to love a car, but it is really making it easy for me. I am so thankful. I’ve picked a couple of lemons, and it’s a real pain in the ass.

During a coffee convo this morning, I talked about one of my old friends who has typically been challenging to get along with. Another mutual friend gave me kudos for staying in touch with him and, against all odds, remaining his friend. I explained that I believe everyone has value. This particular friend, mostly by observing him, reminds me not to take things for granted. He reminds me that everyone has feelings, and I should apologize when I hurt them (even if I’m “right”). He reminds me that being nice is often so easy and brings such great reward. He reminds me that, no matter how small, a good deed is always worth doing when you have the ability – regardless of whether or not the person you are doing it for appreciates it because you are really just doing it for yourself and your own self-worth. He reminds me that ‘what’s in it for me?’ is not an acceptable attitude. He also reminds me, and this is HUGE for me right now, that not everyone feels compassion or even realizes their influence on others, and that doesn’t make someone an evil or inferior person. We are all ignorant is some regard.

No comments: