Monday, November 21, 2011

stop getting my hopes up

The original estimate for how long it would take to get me back on the road was BS. I’m sure that Dr. Hotness didn’t intend to bullshit me, but it’s clear that I’m not ready to start running yet. I’m almost two weeks overdue, not that it’s at all important for me to keep count.


I almost don’t miss it… almost. I’ve been doing a lot of yoga: between 40 minutes and 2 hours every day. I’ve been on and off with the meditation, sacrificing it for yoga, cardio or sleep. Today is the 3rd day that I didn’t have a morning session. Tomorrow I will have one! Must. Hypnotize. Self. In the evenings I squeeze as much of my physical therapy homework and yoga in as I possibly can before bedtime. I’ve been getting to bed later, 10:30 – 11:30PM. It’s not helping the meditation practice at all. When I turn the alarm off in the morning I feel like I am hung over. Not cute.

I think I’m very close to being ready to run on dirt at least. I’ve been playing A LOT of Kinect Dance Central. Sure, my knee still feels uncomfortable, but it doesn’t have that disturbing intensity until I’ve been dancing for about 4 hours. Yesterday I experimented with taking breaks, and I was able to get up to 6 hours when I take a 5-15 minute break every couple of hours. After 6 hours, though, I was tired and it was too late to keep going. I’ll have to test it out again starting earlier in the day next time. He he he. It was pretty fun. Despite how stiff I felt, I spent an hour and some change doing Shiva Rea’s Moon Sequence on her Yoga Shakti DVD - http://shivarea.com/online-store. I really like the Yoga Matrix, where you can pick which poses you want to do in your session, but there’s a really irritating delay in the transitions.

The great news is that my IT band is super loose following the 10 days without any cardio exercise. I got some really deep TFL bodywork, and it wasn’t nearly as painful as it was before the retreat. I gave Dr. Hotness my hypothesis about how I’ve managed to make so much progress in such a short time, but he prefers to believe that it’s all from his treatment. Whatever. You say tomato… The important thing is that I’m getting better. I had my first visit to the physical therapist at Kaiser, as recommended by my Primary Care Physician. Apparently she has some suspicion of other recovery methods, so she wants me to see the official hospital physical therapist. As it turns out, my Kaiser PT is a very forward-thinking practitioner (Leslie somebody). She wants to support my ongoing treatments with other practitioners by simply monitoring my progress and adding one or two new complementary exercises as needed. Unfortunately, I don’t think the crunching noise is going anywhere. I’ll look more into that after we’ve done something about the bone-on-bone issue. Priorities.

During a Feldenkrais session I said out loud, “I feel so much better balanced since I haven’t been doing any weight training.” My Super Scorpion is actually fun now! I used to wrestle myself into a sweat just trying to turn onto one side, and now I can roll over in either direction while having a conversation. I ran it by Dr. Hotness, and he agreed. I’m already really muscular (I needed to be reminded of that); there’s no need to make them bigger. He suggested I try Pilates and wrinkled his face a bit at the mention of yoga, but I’m an independent thinker (LOL read: hard-headed). After having a home practice refresher with our resident yogi, I came to the realization that I should just swear off certain common poses until further notice. I ran across a couple of them during the Yoga Shakti video last night as well – double pigeon is the devil. Have you seen the pose? NOT IT!

No comments: