Tuesday, November 15, 2011

No, it's not a cult.

I haven’t written a blog in a while because, well, I’ve been feeling unusually sane since returning from a 10-day silent meditation retreat. The Northern California Vipassana Center has 10-day courses throughout the year: http://www.manda.dhamma.org/. Although this particular facility (there are three in California) is a bit no-frills, I greatly benefitted from the lack of stimulation.


My first retreat was in Thailand in the rural town of Chaiya at Suan Mokkh Monastery in November of 2008. That was quite an experience. First timers to this type of program are always a bit crazed during the first half of the course because of the overwhelming onslaught of thoughts. At Suan Mokkh I also had the added stress of being abroad alone for the first time in a place I’d never before visited. I ran out of bug spray about halfway through the program, and my money was locked up with the rest of my valuables and electronics. I would not have access to them until day 10. The mosquitos were eating me alive. I was screwed BIG TIME. Although I look back and admire my former self’s resolve for sticking with it and overcoming the maddening itching of dozens of bites, I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. I’ve recommended the course to many, but I warn each person to make sure they are armed with enough supplies (especially bug spray) to make it through to the end.

At Dhamma Manda I had the chance to observe first-timers and entertain myself with their misery. Don’t get me wrong, I had my own issues with joint pain and boredom, but these thing s are to be expected. I had forgotten just how much pain is associated with 10-11 hours of sitting meditation, but that’s not what you take away from the experience. I think the first time is more life-altering than the second, but I definitely understood more of the concepts in the lectures. I also had more of a sense for how important it was that I absorb as much of the teachings as possible. Once you go home, the world comes rushing back into your life and the calm quiet mind is nearly impossible to hold on to.

Although all of the lectures are prerecorded DVDs of S.N. Goenka, the teaching is very well put together. Considering how much he wanders off topic, it had to be a challenge to organize. New students to Dhamma Manda are allowed to attend their first course for free, as a gift from former attendees. The reasoning behind this is that once you have gained the key to unlock serenity and balance within yourself, you will want to share it with as many people as possible. In the end this concept is genius. I’m signed up for a recurring monthly donation.

Sure, it's not for eveyone - nothing really is.  I'mn finding a major challenge is continuing my meditation practice at home: one hour in the morning and one in teh evening.  o far I've only made it through a full hour sitting twice.  Supposedly if you are able to make meditation part of your life for a full year, you will become a lifelong meditator.  Well, even if I don't end up being a lifelong meditator , at least I can have more awareness of myself.  That alone was worth it.

No comments: