Friday, February 19, 2016

Dream

Last night I dreamt of a room filled with people. They were my friends and neighbors. We sat at giant picnic tables like back in high school during lunch. We were each given an envelope containing a few hundred dollar bills and a slip of paper explaining to us that we'd been purchased and now belonged to a wealthy family (one that I am acquainted with in real life) as their property.

We'd all spent the day working at a gigantic estate that resembled a golf course. I walked between the bed chambers and bathrooms, tidying up and removing any signs of usage. Upon returning to the picnic table room for dinner, I expected to be paid for the day and then released to go home. When I opened my envelope, I became so incensed that time stood still. I stood up, pulled a lighter from my pocket and set the envelope and its contents on fire. As I held the burning packet up in my hand, people started to gather around me to ask what was going on. The volume of my voice was that of someone who is merely addressing the person next to them in a busy restaurant, but the anger in it silenced everyone. "My freedom is worth more than money." 

A young man in the crowd asked what we should do, and we began to plot our escape.

No comments: