Friday, November 21, 2008

Dirty, Crowded Bangkok

Once again I'm at my familiar perch outside the train and metro stations, but the homeless guy on crutches isn't here. There was a European guy panhandling for cab fare, which he was generously given by some Thai travelers and the last 10 baht from me.

It's just before 8AM, and I have several hours before I can check in at the hotel. I have just enough money left to feed myself and get back home, so I'm gonna wait here until time to catch the bus across town. No shopping, no spa. I gave some thought to just walking there, but my pack is significantly heavier than it was last week and it's going to get hot in another couple of hours. I want to go to a temple today, but not with this heavy ass bag.

Some dude asked me for a cigarette. After lighting it, he started talking to me, but of course I have no idea what he said - lol. I thought to ask him where I must stand to catch the 53 bus (I have it written on a slip of paper in numbers and Thai letters in case I get lost someplace where no one speaks English), but I figured I should probably let him be on his way sooner rather than later. He may be crazy. Also, if it requires a walk, how the hell is he supposed the give me directions if he doesn't speak English? I'm not following anyone anywhere.

I didn't sleep very well on the train last night. It was rocking a lot, and I kept feeling like I was going to roll out of the top bunk and fall down. Every time I woke up I checked the clock and only an hour or two had passed. That was annoying. It was also unusually noisy with restless people walking around and talking all night long. The guy across from me was snoring, belching and farting. A little girl in the spot beside him was sick, and she passed the night coughing, sneezing and whining - poor thing.

I don't care where you are - dogs look funny wearing clothes. I know that sounds random, but some lady has her dog here in a multi-colored daisy outfit. Ridiculous.

I feel sticky from mosquito repellent, and I want a shower but I'm not going to use the station showers when I know I'll have a private one later. To be honest, I'm sick of waiting for everything. I'm not very patient. It's going to take more than this one trip to change that.

Although I'm not ready to be behind the wheel in traffic again, I am ready to go home. I miss always knowing where I am, what there is to do and how to get there. I am learning how to traverse this city, but speaking only English is a huge hindrance.

I'm really enjoying Alex's book. I'm almost done reading it. The author makes me want to find some way to hit the road for an extended trip.

I wouldn't mind living in Thailand for a few months, Chiang Mai specifically. I could take a Thai language immersion course and some cooking classes. The treks have too much of a gawking tourist feel to them, but I'd like to have a go at the motorcycle tour through the countryside. I'd like to go with boys so we can race. LOL! Some things never change I guess.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: