Saturday, November 22, 2008

Well Whatta Ya Know

The old cranky disgruntled German dude from the retreat told me something that has turned out to be true. I showed him one of my mosquito bites - red, hot, swollen up the size of half a golf ball and firm like a muscle - and he said that once you stay in a place long enough, you stop having an allergic reaction to the bites. His theory was that I would have to remain in Chaiya to develop immunity to its mosquitos' venom, but it appears that it works throughout Thailand. The mosquitos attacked me when I got off the train this morning before I reapplied repellent, but the bites haven't swollen at all. In fact, they don't really itch that much either. I guess it's not of much consequence since I'm leaving in a couple of days, but I find it fascinating.

There was a quote on the back cover of the book we were given during the retreat. It was from Buddha, so it said. This is not exactly verbatim, but it went something like this. When a person becomes deeply devoted in his faith, he discovers that all religions are in essence the same. I remember that above everything else I read in that book.

My room here at Roof View Place is similar to the guest house, but this place is very well maintained and each room has a TV, air conditioning and a fridge. There is a balcony that looks out onto Samsen Soi 6, another of Bangkok's many bustling alleys. There is a biker bar across from the hotel. The balcony has a clothes drying rack and line, so I washed all of my clothes. It is so hot that most of them are already dry.

I didn't make it to a temple because all the ones on the map are a little further than I wanted to walk in the heat today. I found a hole in the wall cafe and had a late lunch after checking in and dropping the pack in my room. I'd waited too long to eat, so I just came back to the hotel and did my laundry instead of wandering the streets.

I was out on the balcony hanging my clothes when I noticed a beautiful gilded roof just a few buildings over. It appears that there is either a school or temple a few steps down the alley in the direction opposite from the main street. I'm going to investigate that in the morning. If it's a temple, I may run into the monks walking around with their bowls. I wonder if they'll eat Clif Bars.

When I go to sleep three nights from tonight, it will be in my own bed. Oh wait, maybe not. He he he. Did I mention that I think The Rock is freaking gorgeous? The Star Movie channel loves him this week, and I am loving the Star Movie channel. Thank you satellite television.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: