Friday, November 14, 2008

Signing Off From Chiang Mai

Made it here fine. Slept a lot on the train. Hotel is just across the street from the train station. This place is more like a hotel at home with a bellboy, a coffee shop in the lobby, laundry service, pool, etc. I just had a great beef and bamboo shoot stir-fry at the open air restaurant next door. Now I'm having my beer. I never drink beer at home. Hmmm.

Chiang Mai so far has been much easier on me than Bangkok. I'm going into the city center to look around. I have to find out where the famous massage school is and get a better map (with bigger print). Did I mention that I'm going blind? Seriously, I can't seem to focus my eyes for more than a few minutes when I'm reading. I think it's finally time to get glasses.

I feel great today. I can't find out what day I'll be able to fly home until the airline office opens on Monday, so I'll wait to buy my train ticket back to Bangkok. I get the feeling that I'd rather stay here until it's time to go home. I'll have to cancel my Bangkok hotel reservation - perhaps losing my $34 deposit, but it's so worth it.

Yesterday, after making a silly attempt at finding a movie theater using the metro system, I tried what is called The Waffle. It is a belgian waffle that fits into the palm of my hand with a crispy sugar crust on one side and stuffed with chocolate. Yesssss. I had three. LOL! I also tried the KFC, and I must tell you never to do that. Stick to the local fare because the western-style food sucks so bad. It was the most expensive meal I've had so far and it was gross.

Since having the waffles, my sweet tooth has been nagging me. I suppose I should be able to find desserts-a-plenty in town. I haven't had any fruit in a couple of days, so maybe that's what I need. The fruit here is so fresh, sweet and yummy.

I may not blog for a while because, well, I'm not as distressed as I have been for the past several days. I'll be home for the upcoming holiday, so I'm just going to relax and enjoy the end of my Thailand experience. I would like to come back next year for the Loy Krathow festival, but probably not alone and definitely not staying in Bangkok. It was a challenging experience to come here alone without knowing anyone or where to go. I wouldn't recommend it. I've learned that it's best to pick a place I've never been to and live there for a while instead of hopping around town to town like a crazy homeless person.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: