Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm still here

I'll catch the train back to Bangkok on the 21st. Even if I wanted to go earlier, there aren't any 1st or 2nd class seats available until then. I fly back to SFO on the 24th. So everyone just calm down. There's nothing wrong with me beyond being a little homesick. I did manage to eat a bite of seafood accidentally a few days ago, but I took my Benadryl and spent the rest of that day in bed.

Chiang Mai has definitely been the best place I've visited on this trip. There are temples every couple of blocks and fewer scam artists looking for victims. The shop owners don't come out to the curb to drag you inside the stores, and (gasp) there's a Starbuck's and a Burger King at the center of town.

My hotel is about a mile and a half outside the city. I've been walking wherever I want to go because it's not as hot here as it was in Bangkok and not wet like Chaiya. It's as warm as our summer, but it's only spring here I think. I'd hate to see what summer is like. The walking has also made it east to see everything and TAKE PHOTOS. I got a disposable 27 exposure camera just to get a few shots.

Some of the folks from the meditation retreat are staying in town. I keep running into them everywhere. If I see them again today, I'm gonna ask what they're doing tonight.

I gotta get walking if I want to get over the river and into town before it gets really warm. I'll check back in with y'all later.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: