Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I can't wait

To get the hell out of here and back home so I can have a burger! I could just be scarred by my KFC experience, but I'm not taking that chance again. Once I get home I'll be fine. I want a juicy 1/4 lb bacon cheese burger with lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and mustard. Mmmmmm. Is it terrible that I miss food more than I miss people?

So I got bored last night and went the night bazaar that all the guides talk about and WOW! It's huge! There is every kind of thing for sale from clothing to jewelry to furniture to music and instruments. The music stall was playing Summertime when I passed it. I had to do a double-take.

I bought two sarong skirts, two summer dresses (yeah I know but she kept bringing the price down as I was walking away), a sequin ed t shirt and a pair of leather sandals all for less than $60. The most expensive item was the sandals, which were almost $20, but when I saw them I had to have them. That's never a good position to negotiate from. Good thing I didn't come here first or I wouldn't have had a chance to see anything else.

My walk in the unmapped direction revealed miles and miles of craft shops. You can watch people painting, sewing, knitting, woodcarving, stringing beads, spinning clay and whatever else you can think of. There are these lotus flowers in wooden cases that are made from carving petals from bars of soap. I have no idea why anyone would buy that, but it does exist. You can buy something from the craftmaker or you can place an order and watch it come to life. After last night, I wasn't buying anything else but it entertained me for a few hours. The craftsman strip is almost 22 miles long, and doesn't begin until about a mile and a half down the road from my hotel, so I only saw a fraction of what's there. I worked up an appetite early today - or it may have something to do with all the beer I drank last night.

It's good that I got outside when I did because it's starting to rain. I hope this isn't going to be another mini-monsoon.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: